Recommended Shamanism Books
These books I've found useful over the years. It is updated ongoing.
- Cowan, Tom. Fire in the Head: Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit, HarperOne, 1993.
- Giamario, Daniel . The Shamanic Astrology Handbook: The Archetypes & Symbols of the Signs & Planets & Their Role in Shamanic Astrology, Giamario, 1993
- Goodman, Felicitas. Ecstatic Body Postures, Bear & Co., 1995.
- Goodman, Felicitas. Ecstatic Trance: New Ritual Body Postures, Binkey Kok, 2003.
- Goodman, Felicitas. The Exorcism of Anneliese Michel, Wipf & Stock Pub, 2005.
- Goodman, Felicitas. Ecstasy, Ritual, and Alternate Reality: Religion in a Pluralistic World, Indiana University Press, 1988.
- Goodman, Felicitas. How About Demons? , Indiana University Press, 1988.
- Harrell, S. Kelley. Gift of the Dreamtime: Awakening to the Divinity of Trauma, Spilled Candy Books, 2004
- Harrell, S. Kelley. Teen Spirit Guide to Modern Shamanism: A Beginner's Map Charting an Ancient Path, Soul Rocks Books, 2014.
- Lee, Ilchi. Brain Wave Vibration (Second Edition): Getting Back into the Rhythm of a Happy, Healthy Life, Best Life Media, 2010.
- Lupa. Engaging the Spirit World, Immanion Press, 2011
- Lupa. Talking About the Elephant: An Anthology of Neopagan Perspectives on Cultural Appropriation, Megalithica Books, 2012.
- Nightsky , Odette. The Bridge Between Two Worlds. A Shaman's View of Schizophrenia & Acute Sensitivity, Available for Educational Seminars
- Ripinsky-Naxon, Michael. The Nature of Shamanism: Substance and Function of a Religious Metaphor, (New York, State University of New York Press, 1993)
- Some, Malidoma. Of Water and the Spirit: Magic and Initiation in the Life of an African Shaman, Penuin Books, 1995.
- Tedlock, Barbara. The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine, (Bantam, 2005.)
- Webb, Hillary S. Traveling Between the Worlds – Conversations with Contemporary Shamans, Hampton Roads Publishing Company, Inc, 2004.
- Winkelman, Michael. Shamanism: The Neural Ecology of Consciousness and Healing,
- Winkelman, Michael. “Shamanism As The Original Neurotheology,” Zygon – Journal of Religion and Science, vol. 39, no. 1 (March 2004); p. 193
- Winkelman, Michael. Shamanism - A Biopsychosocial Paradigm of Consciousness and Healing, Second Edition. Praeger, 2010.
- Wiseman, Boris, "Portrait of the Therapist as a Shaman" The European Journal of Psychotherapy, Counseling & Health, [Vol. 2 No.1 April 1999, pp 41-53].
Sort of Suggested Shamanism Books
Books I'm not at all enthused about, though they are critical in understanding the path shamanism has taken into the west, and how the biases we face originated.
- Andrews, Lynn. Medicine Woman, Harper, 1991.
- Castenada, Carlos. The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge, Ballantine, 1969.
- Eliade, Mircea. Shamanism – Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy, Princeton University Press, 1964.
- Harner, Michael, The Way of the Shaman. Harper, 1980.
- Lewis, I. M. Ecstatic Religion - A Study of Shamanism and Spirit Possession, Routledge Press, 1971.
- Native Appropriations
- Rachel Cargle, anti-oppression activist
- Lyla June,, indigenous poet and musician focused on intercultural reconciliation
- Pilar Mejía, Medicine Woman and decolonization activist
- White Fragility by Robin Diangelo
Fabulous Shamanism Podcasts
- Why Shamanism Now, hosted by Christina Pratt
- Everyday Animism, by Kelley Harrell, Janet Roper, and Brandice Schnabel
- Around Grandfather Fire, hosted by James Stovall and Sarenth Odinsson
- The Jaguar and the Owl, hosted by James Stovall
- Deeper Down the Rabbit Hole, hosted by James Stovall
Recommended Nature Spirits Books
- Andrews, Ted. Animal-Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great & Small. Llewellyn Publications, 1993.
- Andrews, Ted. Nature-Speak: Signs, Omens and Messages in Nature. Dragonhawk Publishing, 2004
- Aziz, Peter. Shamanic Healing: Working with Tree Spirits. Points Press, 1994.
- Aziz, Peter. Spiritual Allies from the Plant Kingdom. Points Press, 1994.
- Helm, Karina I. What Tree Is That?: A Guide to the More Common Trees Found in North America (Mom's Choice Awards Recipient) Arbor Day Foundation, 2009
- Lupa. Fang and Fur, Blood and Bone. Immanion Press, 2006.
- Lupa. DIY Totemism, Immanion Press, 2009.
- Lupa. Totemism 201: Introduction and Purpose. 2014.
Recommended Animism Books
- Beckett, John. "Incorporating Animism into Our Paganism"
- Graham, Harvey. Animism - Respecting the Living World
- Graham, Harvey. The Handbook of Contemporary Animism
- Harrell, S. Kelley. Real Wyrd - A Modern Shaman's Roots in the Middle World
- Harrell, S. Kelley. Life Betwixt - Essays on Everyday Animism and Shamanism Among
- Lawless, Sarah Anne. "Everything You Need to Know About Animism."
- Lupa. Engaging the Spirit World.
- The Ancient Practice of Marrying the Land, by Sharon Blackie
- #metoo, Animism, and Ancestral Trauma by S. Kelley Harrel
Recommended Runic Resources
- What in the Wyrd, podcast by Kelley Harrell
- Aswynn, Freya. Northern Mysteries and Magick: Runes & Feminine Powers. Lewellynn, 2002.
- Harrell, S. Kelley. Runic Book of Days. Destiny Books, 2018.
- Larrington, Carolyne. The Poetic Edda (Oxford World's Classics). Oxford Press University, 2009.
- Paxson, Diana. Taking Up The Runes: A Complete Guide To Using Runes In Spells, Rituals, Divination, And Magic. Weiser Books, 2005.
- Pennick, Nigel. Runic Astrology: Starcraft and Timekeeping in the Northern Tradition. Thorsons Pub, 1990.
- Pennick, Nigel. The Complete Illustrated Guide to Runes. Element Books Ltd., 1999.
- Sturluson, Snorri, translated by Jesse Byock. The Prose Edda: Norse Mythology (Penguin Classics). Penguin Classics, 2006.
Recommended Energy Hygiene Books
- Myss, Caroline. Why People Don't Heal and How They Can. Harmony, 1998.
- Villoldo, Alberto. Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas. Harmony, 2000.